6 April 2013

8. Forgiving Dinner

It had been two weeks since Drake and Nicki last acknowledged each other in any sort of way.

"Nicki" Carol shouted up the stairs.

"Yes mum?" Nicki replied.

"Come downstairs, I have something to tell you" Nicki didn't bother to respond, she just walked downstairs.

"Onika?" Carol called again.

"I'm here" Nicki followed the voice and saw her mother cleaning the kitchen so she sat on one of the stools around the 'breakfast bar'.  

"What do you want to talk about?" Nicki asked.

"I just wanted to tell you that I’ve invited Sandi and Aubrey over for dinner tomorrow. You don't have a problem with that, do you?"

This is great. "No, why would I have a problem with it?" Nicki questioned.

"I don't know. You and Aubrey just drifted away from each other recently, that's all"

"Oh... Can I go now?" I don't want to be here right now.

"I guess so" Nicki hopped off the stool and went back up to her room.

~

"I didn't mean to cut you off. I just...." Nicki started to say.

"No, I didn't mean to put that on you" Drake said.

"So do you forgive me?" Nicki asked.

"Of course I do" They hugged.

Nicki woke up to see it was all a dream; she rolled over and unplugged her phone from its charger.

"6am" Nicki said as she saw the time on her lockscreen. 

"No point in going back to sleep" She groaned and lazily got out of bed. After stretching, Nicki grabbed her towel and went to have shower.  

"What should I wear?" Nicki said as she looked through her wardrobe. She settled on her purple vans, a pair of skinny jeans and a white sleeveless sheer collared shirt.

Nicki grabbed her phone, walked downstairs to the kitchen and made herself some toast and a cup of tea. She heard her phone alarm go off. Now I know I'm definitely early. 

She ate her breakfast and then washed up what she used. Nicki decided to watch a bit of TV before school. During her little TV session, Nicki heard her parents talking.

"I'll go wake up Micaiah and Jelani, and you can wake up Onika" Robert said. Carol knocked on Nicki's door and entered.

"Onika, time to wake up" Carol softly said. She noticed that Nicki wasn't in her bed and her bed was spread.

"Strange" Carol closed the door before her when she left. Jelani walked past her and went into the bathroom.

~

About 20 minutes later, the rest of the family came downstairs, all dressed and ready.

"Have you seen Nicki this morning?" Carol asked Robert.

"No, I haven't" Robert replied.

"I'm here!" Nicki said walking into the kitchen.

"Where have you been? Have you eaten?" Carol asked, grabbing the bread out of the bread bin.

"I've been down here, I woke up at 6am and got ready early. I had my breakfast already"

"That's not like you but I believe you"

"Thank you... I think" Nicki said. Carol smiled at her.

"Oh and remember to be back home so you can help me set up dinner"

"I will, bye" Nicki waved at her family and went outside to wait for TT.

~

"It's Wednesday and you know what the means?!" Candi screeched.

"Ice cream parlour and bowling" The girls screamed except for Nicki.

"Why aren't you screaming?" TT asked.

"I can't go" Nicki frowned.

"What do you mean you can't go, this is a tradition!" Lauren said.

"I know, I know but my mum invited Drake and his mum over for dinner and I have to be there" Nicki explained.

"Aww man, looks like you're trapped" Candi said.

"Tell me about it" Nicki sighed.

~

"Are you wearing that for dinner?" Robert asked.

"Yes, why not?" Nicki raised her eyebrow.

"Don't you think that's a bit... you know?"

"No"

"Onika, please just go and change what you're wearing" Carol sighed.

"But," Nicki began to say but was stopped by the glare she was receiving from her parents.

Nicki huffed and went to her room to find something more appropriate to wear.

I don't see why I couldn't wear what I was wearing before.

A few minutes later, Nicki walked downstairs again in a black skater skirt with sheer tights and a similar top to the one she wore before but it was tucked into her skirt.

"That's better" Robert smiled.

~

A knock disturbed the table being properly set up. Nicki continued to place the cutlery on the table. Maybe this will make me avoid him for a bit longer.

"Onika, can you answer the door please?" Carol asked, taking the cutlery of Nicki's hand and finishing off her job.

Another knock was heard; Nicki mumbled a few things as she walked towards the front door. 

"Hello!" Nicki smiled.

"Hello Nicki dear" Sandi asked giving Nicki a hug and went inside.

Drake stood awkwardly at the door. "You can come in, you know"

"Yeah" Drake rubbed the back of his neck; Nicki walked away and left him standing there.

Come on man. Drake walked in and shut the door behind him.

"Nice to see you finally joined us" Sandi laughed.

"So where am I sitting?" Drake asked.

"Next to Nicki" Carol said.

Let's see how this is going to work out. Drake walked around the table to where Nicki was sitting and sat down.

"Since we're all here, we can get started" Carol began, "I'll go get the soup" she got up and made her way to the kitchen.

"I'll come help you" Sandi get up and walked to the kitchen as well.

"Robert! Come and help us!" Carol shouted.

Robert pushed his chair back and made his way to the kitchen too, leaving Nicki and Drake at the table.


3 comments:

  1. Its bout to go down!!! I wonder wats gonna happen next??? Post soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oop! Let's see what goes down between dricki 😏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:42 am

    Haha they think they're slick

    ReplyDelete